Protect your family from what you can't see

Protect your family from what you can't see image

author share group

CARBON MONOXIDE:

Here are some guidelines to help you stay safe at home. 

Know the dangers of carbon monoxide

At high concentrations, carbon monoxide can be fatal in minutes. When inhaled, it passes through the lungs and displaces the oxygen that cells need to function. It is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America (Centers for Disease Control). For these reasons, it's important to protect yourself. Here are some guidelines to follow:

  • Keep one sensor on every floor of your home--and make sure it has battery backup
  • Replace sensors every 5-7 years
  • Have your furnace maintained annually by a service professional

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

While symptoms can be vague, it's important to be aware of the symptoms of poisoning, including:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness

Because poisoning is often misdiagnosed, it's very important to keep your carbon monoxide detectors in good working order and on every level of your home.

Important information about carbon monoxide detectors

Your sensors don't last forever. The following should help you understand why your alarm may be beeping:

When your Digital Life alarm beeps 2 times every 30 seconds

This is alerting you that your alarm is at the end of its life.  Replacing the batteries will not stop the beeping.  Beeps will only stop when the alarm no longer has power. It is recommended you replace the alarms BEFORE you start getting these end-of-life signals.

If you don't have your sensors (remember, one for each floor), now is a great time to get them. 

 

 

Related Articles - October Product Round Up

Your first line of defense

Protect your home with heat sensors